2019 Street & Stream Cleanup
Spring 2019 is here! Join us on Sunday, May 19th at 9:00 AM for our 15th Annual Street & Stream Cleanup event. This event is part of a coordinated regional effort to clean up local waterways and reduce polluted stormwater runoff. Children and adults, local organizations, groups, and individuals interested in helping protect Orono's water resources will meet at the town office at 9:00 AM for a brief educational talk about stormwater runoff and how it affects the streams and local environment as well as an important safety briefing. After the talk, volunteers head out into the community to clean up the trash and debris that could impact the streams.
Volunteers will be provided with gloves and safety vests to wear during the event and a thank you gift of a free t-shirt or reusable shopping bag.
After cleanup activities, a free barbecue luncheon will be provided.
To get started, please download and fill out our Release Form.
For more information or to sign your group up to participate, please email Belle Ryder or call the Town Office at 207-866-2556.
Click Here to view and print the poster contest entry form (and check out previous years' winning posters!)
Read on for more information on entering our Poster Contest!
Every year, the Town of Orono sponsors a cleanup event to encourage friends, neighbors and community organizations to join us for a fun day of cleaning up the streets followed by a barbecue at the Orono Fire Department. We need your help getting the word out about this fun (and important) event! Please enter our poster competition - if you win your age group, you will receive a $50 gift card and see your art work posted all over Orono! Here are the details:
• Posters must be on 11” x 17” paper, portrait-oriented.
• Posters must be the original design and creation of the entrant(s). Colored pencils are not recommended because they are hard to reproduce.
• Computer graphics may be used, but the must be created by the entrant(s) (i.e. no clipart).
• Students may work individually or in teams.
• Posters must include the following information:
• Date of the Event - May 19th
• Time of the Event - 9:00 AM
• Meeting Place - Town Council Chambers, 59 Main St., Orono
• Free lunch provided
• The event will happen rain or shine
• Information about why cleaning up the streets is important!
The posters will be judged by the following criteria:
• Overall visual impact & eye-catching appeal
• Clarity of message
• Appropriateness of message
• Age Categories: Grades K-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12
• First Prize for each Age Category: $50 Gift Card